Thursday, June 23, 2011

Azkals up close: Paul Mulders

by Shiela Reyes
MANILA, Philippines – Born in a country where football is played with passion, Azkals midfielder Paul Mulders said it's his destiny to play the sport.

“In Europe, football is like the number one sport," the 5'11" Filipino-Dutch told abs-cbnNEWS.com. "[There] you just race with the ball.”
Mulders, the newest addition to the Azkals line-up, was born in Amsterdam to a Filipina mother and a Dutch father.
He said he started kicking the ball at age 3.
He grew up to become an offense-oriented player, making it into the pro ranks by entering the Dutch first division league.

Aside being a member of the Philippine Azkals, Mulders also plays as a midfielder for Alles Door Oefening (ADO) Den Haag. He previously played for Dutch clubs like AGOVV Apeldoorn, FC Omniworld and Cambuur Leeuwarden.
Mulders said he looks forward to representing the Philippines.

Personal Information
Name: Paul Mulders
Birthday: January 16, 1981
Birthplace: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Age: 30
Position in the Azkals team: Attacking midfielder
Hobbies: I like to hang out with my friends and see movies when I have time.
Start of football career: I started playing the game because in Europe, football is like the number one sport.


Where's your mother/father from?
My father’s Dutch, from Amsterdam, and my mother is from Isabela.

What made you decide to join the Azkals?
I think it’s a nice opportunity to play with the Azkals. I'm proud to play for them and I think my mom is also proud that I play for them. It’s a nice experience.

If you weren't a football player, what would you be doing instead?
If I’m not a football player, probably I would have started my own gym.

What’s the best think you like about football?
Just having the ball with you. It’s a nice thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment