Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Manchester City's Carlos Tevez has one foot in Corinthians, says president

Corinthians president Andres Sanchez has affirmed that Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez is on the verge of rejoining the Brazilian giants, stating that the player's new transfer value must reflect the controversies that have beset the Argentine in the last two months.

The Timao have been long-term admirers of their former player, and attempted to sign him in the summer transfer window before being scared off by the transfer tag put on his shoulders in England.

Melvin Jones field eyed for football tourney

A DECENT football pitch would be impossible to put up in time for the Vergara–Domogan Street Kids Football Cup slated November.

But the City Government assured players to the month-long tournament that a more acceptable playing field come by November 27 will be up in the works.

“The City Government is currently undertaking a feasibility study on how we can improve Melvin Jones to serve its purpose as a decent football ground,” said Mayor Mauricio Domogan.

Representative Bernardo Vergara, for his part, said the current improvement being done at Burnham Park will also spill over to Melvin Jones.

More work needed for PH football

by Mars G. Alison

German football expert Eckhard Krautzun said he was amazed as almost 50 coaches including women showed up for yesterday’s start of the three-day workshop hosted by the Cebu Football Association (CFA) at the Sarrosa International Hotel and Residential Suites and the Aboitiz Sportsfield in Subangdaku Mandaue.
He said he was more impressed because it was the first time that he handled a workshop with so many female participants.
“The girls did very well,” said Krautzun referring to an exercise wherein he made selected coaches come up with their own training program.
The coaches’ response to the workshop also pleased the German football coach.
“I find them eager to go and they are concentrated,” Krautzun said.
He said that he emphasized on drills and tactics yesterday.
Based on his observation since he arrived in Manila last week, there’s a tactical deficiency in Philippine football.
Prior to coming here, Krautzun had also conducted a workshop for the National Capital Region Football Association (FA) and nearby FAs as well as observed four matches of the United Football League (UFL), the country’s premier football league.
According to Krautzun, the Filipino booters have good skills, they can run but they lack in ground, individual and team tactics. He said they should work on their tactical behavior such as balance in defense and attack on the field. he also noted the slow switch from one position to another.
“The best teams in the world switch quickly. I noticed that there (NCR) and it is also lacking here,” Krautzun said.
He also said that the Filipino will have to develop their own style of play which should adapt the Filipino culture, climate and body structure.
During the games in Manila, Krautzun observed that many of the booters attempt long-range shots. He said this will not work against tall players especially against the Koreans.
‘They have to use their agility, their quick-passing,” said Krautzun, who added that because of the heat here, players should economize their energy and not waste it by running and running.
In the morning, Krautzun lectured the coaches on the profile of a grassroots coach and the coach of conduct. In the afternoon, they were made to do practical exercises.
He said that the young players are the future and that they should get proper coaching.
“The Philippines have to find an ideal system wherein the youth will be given regular training and regular competition,” Krautzun said.
The workshop will continue today with discussion on talent identification.
Krautzun will also observe the progress of the Little Azkals (Philippine U13 team) who are in town for the workshop. Source
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Police receives complaint over Chelsea captain John Terry's alleged racist abuse towards QPR's Anton Ferdinand

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they have received a complaint from a member of the public over alleged racist abuse by Chelsea and England captain John Terry.

Officers are now assessing the situation relating to allegations Terry racially abused Anton Ferdinand in the Premier League match between QPR and Chelsea at Loftus Road on Sunday.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “We can confirm police have been notified of an incident on Sunday, October 23 involving alleged racial abuse. This is currently being assessed by officers from Hammersmith and Fulham.”

It comes amid reports that Ferdinand is giving serious consideration to making a formal complaint against Terry. Ferdinand, brother of England vice-captain Rio, will meet with QPR manager Neil Warnock and an advisor at the club's Harlington training ground on Tuesday lunchtime before making a decision.

Terry, who categorically denies the claims and has the full backing of Chelsea, has vowed to clear his name, telling the Daily Mail, “I will do whatever it takes to clear my name and I don’t have anything to hide. I’m not taking that level of abuse.

“Anton and I spoke for 10 minutes in the dressing room after the game and there is no issue between us. It’s finished.”

The complaint to the police revolves around an incident late in QPR's 1-0 victory over their west London rivals. Videos circulated on the internet on Sunday night which showed Terry appearing to mouth the words “you f****** black c***” towards Ferdinand.

Terry does not deny using the words, but he insists they were taken out of context as part of a longer sentence because he thought Ferdinand had accused him of making a racist remark.

Terry, 30, put out a statement on Sunday stating he had spoken to Ferdinand after the match and “there was no problem” between the pair. However, Ferdinand is yet to make a public response to Terry's version of events.

In his statement, Terry said, "I am disappointed that people have leaped to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand. I thought Anton was accusing me of using a racist slur against him. I responded aggressively, saying that I never used that term."

“I would never say such a thing, and I am saddened that people would think so. I have known Anton for a long time and spoke to him about it after the game and there was no problem between us.

"I congratulated him on their win. He has not accused me of any wrongful remark."

Terry pointed to the fact he is the leader of a team that is very diverse.

"It was clear it was all a misunderstanding at the time. After the result, I am saddened to be dealing with these wrongful allegations. I am the proud captain of one of the most internationally diverse teams in the Premier League and I absolutely believe that there is no place for racism in sport and indeed in any walk of life." Source

Beckham's Galaxy to play vs Azkals in Manila: Bright

MANILA, Philippines - British football superstar David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy will visit Manila for a friendly match against the Philippine Azkals on December 4.Azkals team coordinator Ace Bright made the announcement on his Twitter account on Saturday night.
"LA Galaxy and Azkals, dec 4 rizal stadium :)," Bright wrote.
Bright's announcement immediately sparked reactions from fans and Azkals team members.
"Is it really true?! Becks in Manila?" tweeted Azkals player Simon Greatwich.
"I'll tell you now, this doesn't happen often so better take your chance on Dec 4th. Some things happen once in a lifetime," said Azkals fan Jaron Genota.
"What a difference 12 months makes. Dec 5th 2010 Philippines 2 Vietnam 0. Dec 4th 2011 David Beckham and LA Galaxy arrive to play in Manila," said former Azkals coach Simon McMenemy.